Mother/Daughter

Saturday, October 20, 2012

I'm back! Sorry about the brief hiatus. I wish I could be blogging and scrapbooking at my regular pace. But alas, I'm studying to sit for the Project Management Professional (PMP) exam. Needless to say, that's eating up a lot of my time.

But here's a page I made today! 

Earlier this week, I spent an evening with my Roller Rink kit, pairing photos with possible papers and products. I didn't have time to do anything with them, but it made me feel creative to just do that. It was a temporary hit of a much needed scrapbooking high! =)

This black and white photo of me and my Mama was a rejected photo for her birthday card and I thought it went so beautifully with the blue patterned paper. This was my favorite sheet from this month's kit and I'm so glad I got to feature it in a big way on this page. 

And also that I got to scrapbook!! I spent hours studying today and by 5 pm I was done. I rewarded myself with a bit of scrap therapy.




The design is based on a sketch from Scrapbook Trends' submission page. But I played around with the elements just a bit.

As a nod to the stripe at the top and bottom of the sketch, I thought it'd mix it up and have the entire design hang off the side of a plain sheet of cardstock. I love this look and will totally be using it again and again. Also think I was subtly influenced by the lovely Steph on this one =)

[PHOTO]

The sketch called for a banner and I wanted it to have a bit more texture to it. So I cut a whole mess of pennants, outlined them white pen and inked the edges with Tin Can chalk ink. I strung them up on a piece of yarn (not included in the kit) and had them overlap each other.

I decorated the "open air" with Amy Tan puffy stickers and punched vellum clouds. I also punched two tiny birdies out of the backside of the second blue vellum envelope (from the Crack the Whip add-on). I can't even begin to describe how gorgeous that shade of teal/steel gray blue is in real life! The photos don't do it justice.

[PHOTO]

I loved the wood veneer chevrons in the kit but they were too brown for the page. So I dressed them up with some Martha Stewart Glitter Paint in silver. The same paint I used on the inside of my December album last year.

The quote in the sticker was the perfect touch, since glitter was mentioned. Also because I'm looking straight at the camera and you get to see my big semi-Asian eyes, another gift from my mother.

[PHOTO]

Journaling Reads:

"My parents grew up in a different era. They met young, married you and started having babies young. My Mama was only 21 when I was born. She always says she grew up along with me. But as a kid you never notice such things. She was just my Mama, someone I looked up to. Literally! As an adult, I can appreciate all of the sacrifice that went into being a young Mama and I'm sure there were opportunities she may have had to let pass. I'm eternally grateful for her love & her sacrifice. I firmly believe her selflessness helped pave the way for some of my opportunities. I still (metaphorically) look up to my Mama. There's a lot of amazing in her tiny frame."

Can I say that I'm in love with this page? I love the soft colors and all of the little elements. It's not my usually style but I think it's why I like it!

I wanted it to be soft and a bit dreamy and the color helped enforce that. Which was the topic for this week's Glitter Girl video. I totally choose colors based on my photos. I think it's one of my scrapbooking strengths!

Ok, I think I'll end it there. I was a bit wordy today, apologies. I think it's because I've been blog deprived this week! I have a few more projects to share. But be forewarned I'll be around more scantily than usual. Counting down the days until November 11th!!

cheers & besos,

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful page, so sweet! Love what you did with the white pen and inking, adds a lot of depth to each piece of the banner. Good luck studying, almost there! :)

    ReplyDelete