So Lucky Inspiration

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Aloha! I'm just back from Hawaii and already missing the sun and the wind, the water and the calm quiet life we had up on the North Shore.

It was utterly sublime.

I'll miss the crazies I was staying with, most of all.

But I'm back to the sharp reality that is everyday life.
And back to blogging =)

Last week, (geez was it really only last week?!) I found this gorgeous layout in the Studio Calico gallery. It was created by the lovely Glenys whom I left a comment something to the effect of "I'm going to scrap lift this ASAP!"

Here's what drew me in:
  • It's travel themed, 'nuff said!
  • I loved the photo strips and how she successfully incorporated a lot of photos onto one page
  • It had a yellow background, my favorite color =)
  • The products: I have the October Afternoon map paper in my stash already, as well as some of the Amy Tangerine.
  • And finally, as cheesy as it sounds, it "spoke" to me. The idea of having all of my travels from 2008 in one place appealed to me. And since this layout was so successful at doing that, I figured I'd give it a shot.
And I did! Mine isn't identical to hers, I didn't have the exact same products. But I had close enough to achieve the same effect I think.

Where Glenys had an 8x8 size of the map paper, I had a 12x12. So it became my base.

I arranged my photos into strips same as her, but decided to back them on a cardstock base. I used a yellow dotted swiss, to mimic the yellow background in my inspiration page. I also titled the strips a bit to make it more fun.

And where Glenys had a circular element on the left side of her photos, I shifted mine and added it on top of my photos.

I loved Glenys banner so I mimicked it using some My Mind's Eye label stickers. Some of these had words and phrases on them already, so I cut a strip of white cardstock to cover this up, and added all of the countries I visited in 2008. [16!!]

I also wanted to give them some dimension so I added a pop dot underneath just one side of each so they'd permanently lift off the page.

The last of the details were the camera embellishment, an Amy Tangerine die cut pop dotted off the page and a sticker.

It's so true, "some journeys cannot be put into words".

I love this page and how it captures a year of my life at a truly fantastic point in my journey. I feel so blessed to have been able to see all of those places and experience a day or more in each of those countries.

And I'm so happy that I discovered Glenys' page and that she helped me to do it! See, scraplifting is a wonderful thing! You can learn a lot of "cutting with another crafter's scissors" so to speak.

From this page, I will take away:
  • Threading twine through buttons as an anchor for a banner
  • Photo strips, photo strips, photo strips!
Mahalo for stopping by! And a special thank you to Glenys for letting me share her page and giving me the inspiration to make mine in the first place =)

xxbesos

2 comments:

  1. Lovely inspiration and I love your interpretation! I am inspired now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pin button would be nice... :)

    ReplyDelete