Look Back Week

Thursday, July 1, 2010

...{sigh} This page just makes me happy, incredibly satisfied, content and happy! I haven't felt creative in awhile and this is the first spark of creativity I've experienced in a few weeks. And it all started with the adorable Stacy Julian and her Look Back Week challenge over at Write.Click.Scrapbook. Her first day challenge was to look back at a trip you took (and possibly already scrapbooked), and see if you can create something with photos you might have left over. Or at least that's the challenge that I took away from her post.

The summer of 2006 I studied abroad in Bilbao, Spain. It was only for the first half of the summer so I spent the back half excitedly scrapping my photos. I took nearly 700 photos across three different countries, as we had traveled a bit before our program started. (That was the first time I visited London!) I successfully completed my London and Paris albums but by the time I got to the meat and bones of the project, my time in Spain, I'd run out of steam. About halfway through the project I unfortunately quit.

It's so sad to consider all of the memories and moments I've since forgotten, without having that fresh perspective. But that's ok, I can look at these photos and have a whole new perspective on them and hopefully, I'll get around to remembering all the important stuff!



I love this page because I just went for it. It wasn't for any challenges, it doesn't feature a lot of product. It's just a picture, some ribbon, and a bit of journaling. I slapped some paint on the background and then added a ticket stub.

I was very inspired by the actual piece of art featured in the photo. The gorgeous shape of the sculpture and the rusty texture of it are the basis for the layout. I misted the background with gold Maya Mist and then painted with brown acrylic paint, the organic shape behind the photo. The mist didn't really show through so I re-misted and achieved something very close to the texture I was going for. Ribbon frames the photo and I scattered my journaling around the other elements.

Something I'd like to point out is the actual museum ticket I featured on the page. Keeping and treasuring all of these mundane pieces of paper has been a habit of mine. (Come to it, check back tomorrow and I'll show you one of my most prized possessions, which was a mundane little ticket stub that I decided to save.) And even though the ticket isn't very visual stunning, it conveys a lot of info. The date, the time, the place. And better still a little of the Basque language!

This has solidly become my most favorite creation of the summer. I dedicate it to Stacy Julian for getting me thinking about that most cherished experience in the first place! What about yall? Have any photos lying around of an old trip you took? Whether or not the event has been scrapbooked, I think you should take a look back and see if there's anything else you can do with them! Just a thought :) Happy Scrapping

xxbesos
j.leija

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!